Yesterdays Face!

Mum bought me a new lipstick yesterday! It’s in the most perfect shade of plum, one that I’ve been searching for for a long time. It was on sale at the chemist she visits every week after visiting the cemetery. There are a few things that are somewhat worrisome about it though.

The lipstick is Loreal Paris, Studio secrets in Plum. I remember reading something about Loreal Paris using animal testing so I decided to look it up.The website states this:

“L’Oréal Paris has not used an animal laboratory to test our cosmetics products since 1989. European and national level regulations mean that manufacturers must conduct tests on animals to guarantee the safety and tolerance of the chemical ingredients they use. For 20 years, L’Oréal Paris has taken significant steps to research, develop and validate alternative methods to laboratory animal testing. Beyond the progress already accomplished, industry and university researchers must embrace a new challenge in years to come: to develop new, regulatory approved, alternative ways to evaluate chemical ingredients in the domains of toxicology where such methods no longer exist. L’Oréal Paris aspires to a total elimination of laboratory animal testing. Our group is an active member of the European Partnership for the Development of Alternative Methods, put in place by the European Commission in November 2005. We aim to do everything reasonably possible to promote this programme through our actions. The recent acquisition of the Skin Ethic tissue engineering organisation is testament to this ongoing concern and confirms the leading position of our group – L’Oréal – in the domain of alternative research methods.” – Source

Along with reading some other peoples opinions on the matter I’m not quite sure what to think. Some people say that Loreal sneakily speaks around the point. What do you think? Or have heard? I try my hardest not to use products tested on animals these days.

Anyway, my make up consists of black eye-shadow, generic liners, false eye lashes, Manic Panic powder and the Loreal Lipstick.

Generally speaking the lipstick when applying is slippery. It honestly goes everywhere and this was before I put my lip-ring in. Eventually it dries out a lot – after wearing for a few hours – but I can honestly say I ate dinner (pasta salad and a caramelised cheese pull) and it held remarkably.

Best wishes,
-Sary

1. January 26, 2012 / 3:38 am

I like that shade! I 've heard iffy things about that brand

2. Maryam Qawiyy
    January 26, 2012 / 3:43 am

You. Look. AWESOME.

3. VictorianKitty
    January 26, 2012 / 4:13 am

Wow. WOW!!! You are stunning! That's a very good look for you, in evry way!

4. Cherish Grave
    January 26, 2012 / 5:04 am

This is your best look yet, the lipstick is absolutely stunning!

5. Xanthy
    January 26, 2012 / 6:53 am

Loving that look!

Also, the law says you can't actually do any cosmetics tests on animals. However, if they find a new product they want to use, it has to be tested to ensure safety. Brands can circumvent the rule by classifying it as a medical test but that takes a lot of extra paperwork, so it has to be worth it (I don't know which brands though).

Don't fret though, since every product only needs to be tested once – once it's established that it will not, in fact, hurt anyone, it goes on the approved list forever and never needs to be tested on animals again.
    So yeah, there isn't a lot of cosmetics testing anymore.

6. January 26, 2012 / 7:25 am

Lovely makeup!
    In my company they test new products on the staff :). I got three plasters to try a few days ago and I got eczema from them within a few hours. I use to deny requests on trying face cream because of my sensitive skin.

7. January 26, 2012 / 7:34 am

Oh really? That's really interesting. Personally I prefer testing on humans. You can't really explain what's happening to an animal.

8. Ellone Andreea
    January 26, 2012 / 8:22 am

That lipstick suits you so well! You look gorgeous <3

9. January 26, 2012 / 9:35 am

You look lovely!!!

10. Heidi Ruumensaari
    January 26, 2012 / 9:37 am

Beautiful make-up! Thanks for sharing that lipstick info, because I have been looking for same kind of shade for ages.

11. Mistress Mystral
    January 26, 2012 / 9:40 am

12. beautiful.loser
    January 26, 2012 / 10:30 am

You're so beautiful Sary! It does kind of sound like L'Oreal are trying to avoid answering the question though…

Dammit, girl, you make me want a deathhawk XD

13. January 26, 2012 / 12:07 pm

Your hair is in such great condition, I just want to stroke it *feebly strokes computer screen*

14. Miss Eva Morgan
    January 26, 2012 / 12:08 pm

You look amazing!

15. carolinecarnivorous
    January 26, 2012 / 1:00 pm

Beautiful make-up!

16. Kitty Lovett
    January 26, 2012 / 3:01 pm

L'Oreal animal test, and vehemently defend their "right" to do so. they're just dancing around saying it, so to confuse you. It is illegal in Europe, but not in America – you know, the place where L'Oreal is based. Plus, the whole "we support Israel murdering Palestinians" thing, too. The products tend to be pretty subpar to indie products, too.

Nice colour, though. You need to upload the pictures of the lipstick I got you so I can see!

17. Roxy McEvoy
    January 26, 2012 / 7:13 pm

As someone who works in cosmetics and previously in biocides (I'm a microbiologist, my jobs to make sure it kills/prevents the growth of bacteria) I can say hand on heart that the majority of companies are in a bind when it comes to stating they dont support animal testing. The reason being that all chemicals, chemical compounds and components (basically everything that goes into any product) has to be tested to make sure its safe on humans. The majority of these where found about 20+ years ago when animal testing was accepted, and so if they use any of those chemicals, they cant say its animal testing free, even if it was tested thirty years ago.

That was a bit of a long way to say that they dont test thier own finished products on animals, but the ingredients have at some point been animal tested, usually a long, long time ago, but since they cant change the past…

The company I work for now uses us as test subjects – I get to try a lot of different products at different stages of develop. Sometimes its crap and I have a reaction, other times its good and I get to have them before they're in the shops!

18. January 27, 2012 / 1:58 am

Great color, great look, and I adore your bangs. Unfortunately, I can't do bangs. :/ I guess I'll just live through you in that regard. 🙂

19. may_bug
    January 28, 2012 / 12:57 pm

Is it vegan?

I don't really know much about makeup but my mum used to be an Avon rep, and their lipstick had fish bits in it.

20. January 28, 2012 / 1:06 pm

Unfortunately not, but the worst that's in it is ground up beetles used in the dye.

21. January 28, 2012 / 5:35 pm

Gorgeous makeup! The false eyelashes are awesome! Your hair looks really nice as well.

22. LadyFairington
    January 29, 2012 / 7:21 am

Oh wow, you look absolutely beautiful! I love your hair like that, it looks very good on you. 😀 <3!

23. may_bug
    January 30, 2012 / 11:50 am

Oh yes, when you really think about it make ups kind of weird.Thought I heard they weren't allowed to use beetles to make dye anymore, they're getting endangered.

24. January 30, 2012 / 12:05 pm

Oh really? I didn't know that at all. Maybe my source was wrong.