|Photo By SoulStealer on Flickr|
My outfits posts have been filled with my Doc Martens to the point you’re probably all sick to death of them but their wear for worth is certainly obvious. And sorry to say I don’t think I’ll be falling out of love with them for a long time.
Little Black Dress:
Goth’s can never have enough black dresses. I should know since I have a habit of bringing them home with me to no avail. But this dress should be typically plain (for dressing up or down), it should fit perfectly while being flattering to your body-type.
Top Hat/Fancy Hat:
If you’re into neo-victorian wear you might be interested in those fancy large hats, top-hats maybe even vintage hats. These hats definitely fit all the checkpoints for an investment piece!
There are thousands of people spouting that you need a good quality coat and while I agree with that that isn’t entirely all. Here comes a word that you’ll be sick of hearing by the end of this article: versatility!
If you’re a corset wearer or want to be you should know that corsets are major investment pieces. You wouldn’t want to be spending fifty dollars on EBay for a corset you’ll be wearing everyday because you really will be paying for quality. As important as quality is the selection as you’ll want to fully research the store and reviews of the corset. Not to mention it’s incredibly important to try the corset on first – even more so for custom made pieces.
An investment corset should contain thick fabric that will last, grommets with no pre-existing splits, firm corset laces and heavy duty bones – most prefer steel bones but there are few alternatives (just please, no plastic boning). You’ll want to buy a corset in a colour you’ll use often – particularly a nuetral because they blend well with most other combinations.
- The good thing about Goth clothing is that there seems to be less of a focus on trends which means you’ll get all the more out of what you wear! But it also means that you can look for your quality basics in thrift stores! I’ve found some of my most favourite and most worn clothing from thrift stores.
- Look outside of well know Goth brands into more basic clothing stores as well. All clothing stores have plain black clothing that is more versatile. Besides you’ll want to try the clothing on for a perfect fit and not everyone has assess to these niche stores.
- Fit is important!
- Remember that investment means different things to different people. One person may take investment as spending fifty dollars on a thrift-coat while others might want to spend a few hundred on a brand new pair of Doc Martens. You are in charge of what you buy and no amount of someone telling you that you need to buy this is going to make it true. Stick to your budget and stick to your own tastes!
- Remember that just because something is expensive does not mean that it is good quality which deepens the importance of researching!
- Don’t by an item just because it’s on an investment list if you aren’t going to wear it.