Outfit Post: Interview And/Or Professional Goth

Recently, I’ve been running around catching trains and buses to get to house viewings and trying to find somewhere to move. During this I’ve been dressing move covertly than I usually would – adding in simple colours, taking away the rips (boo!), while keeping my personal style still very obvious. It’s definitely been an experience. Dressing down doesn’t always have to be dreaded and you certainly don’t have to hide your true-self; there’s no need to throw away your layered-skirts for blue-jeans.

Stockings: Secondhand – Shoes: Cotton On – Bag: Thrifted

These photo’s were taken at the train-station after we missed our train by five minutes. I swear this year has not been my year at all. Though I did have the company of my my friend – the lovely person taking my photo is the same person that designed and drew my header, Xara.

Cardigan: Secondhand – Blouse: ROMWE – Skirt: Kmart

I’ve attempted to add in some colour (even though it’s red) just to get people wondering. Even when someone isn’t dressed particularly alternative but is in head to toe black they either think high fashion or Goth – adding a completely colourful item should get people wondering instead.

Abandoning my ripped stockings was another point but I decided to keep my hair uncovered since I didn’t want to be completely untrue (plus my partner was very adamant that I be truthful). If I do find a place to live (Oh man, I hope soon!) I don’t want them to be shocked when they come for an assessment to find a completely different person.

This is the dream cardigan that I’ve been looking for for years, unfortunately it’s in red rather than black. But at least I’m a step closer by knowing exactly what I want! I can imagine this one will be really great for layering with in winter; I can’t wait until the weather cools down.

Do you change your entire style for days that you have to dress ‘appropriately’? How do you dress down your regular style?

1. February 20, 2013 / 12:30 pm

I tone my outfits down quite often, since I don't think that my style would be ok at university… but I'm always at least dressed in black from head to toe. Whenever I'm wearing a plain black outfit, I add gothic accessories, so that it is clear that I belong to a subculture and that, at the same time, I'm showing respect to the environment by trying not to stand out too much.
    But I guess that people who dress "normal" do the same: they wouldn't put on a red sequin minidress and high heels at school, so I won't show up in my Bordellos and tutu dresses.
    But I remember that when I worked some years ago I had to let go of goth almost completely. It didn't feel good. Painting my nails black and wearing a black sweater once in a while wasn't enough. It's very sad when you can't even *suggest* that there is more about you than it shows. :/

2. February 20, 2013 / 1:55 pm

You look darling and I hope all your interview for apartments go well!
    When my husband and I go on appt's (especially apartments) we try and cover up our tattoos as much as possible. Not because we're ashamed, but because people judge us at first sight. For some reason a tattooed woman is more alarming than a tattooed man, but that's the way it is. Once someone gets to know us and Derek tells them he's a tattoo artist, it's not as jarring.
    Also so some jobs I've had to wear

3. February 20, 2013 / 5:34 pm

When I dress for work, my actual style shows through – though not enough for me to be content with; and I work full time +, so there are times I come to resent the fact that I can't wear my skirts to work (haha, not really appropriate for a family fun center!).

My bosses know I'm the "odd one out" – our general manager even calls me Rainbow! – combined with the fact that I have stayed there the longest out of all the employees in my area, know exactly how the game room works, how to fix things even my managers don't know about, and pull in the highest revenue during my shifts, I'm afforded lee-way. Like, I can wear colored pants, while the dress code calls for black or khaki.

I don't have to hide my neck tattoo, piercings, or change my hair color (rainbow), which is nice. While these things may unsettle conservative customers at first, my personality makes them realize "Hey, she's actually a really cool person with multi-colored hair and tattoos." Plus these traits are memorable – when they see someone with funny colored hair outside of the bowling alley, they'll flash back to the time the spent with us. And then they'll come back. ^^

Woo, sorry about the text block! I rarely get to talk about this subject because my altie friends aren't as obvious as I. ;D

4. February 20, 2013 / 9:56 pm

Shannon: I can't imagine having to dress down for school! School for me is a time for exploring any of my style that I want because they are legally required to not be biased – before I'm technically forced out into the real world (which is kind of what's happening now, I guess).

Kelsey: That sounds like a wonderful place to work! No need to apologise for the block of text – I love reading them. :3

5. February 20, 2013 / 10:57 pm

I agree that university is a time for me to dress up a bit and express myself. I often wear things that may not be too extreme during the week, but that is due to late nights and early starts in the morning rather than intentionally toning things down.

6. February 20, 2013 / 11:43 pm

the red sweater is perfect! When we were looking for an apartment in NYC, our landlady was this orthodox Greek lady who was NOT happy with my appearance and was NOT happy that we weren't married. We had the money though, and I guess they were desperate…cause we got the place. Funny how you mention dressing down…I've got a post sitting in my drafts about that! I was working on the "goth and other styles" challenge and ended up doing goth and work. Don't know how that happened. Yeah I dress down all the time for work, of course. Also networking stuff–while there's a few goths in my industry it's mostly socialites.

7. March 3, 2013 / 9:20 am

I have to dress down the gothiness everyday at work. Luckily I work at a place where the dress code is black and white (plus grey.) So mostly I just wear gothabilly or gothic pin-up type outfits just with slightly more classic jewelry rather than some of the kitchsy skull and bat stuff I love. For other times, like family reunions it's less toned down. I usually do the adding color and maybe slightly less obvious gothy motifs. Even with my conservative relatives though I can get away with a lot just because I've already been labeled the eccentric one in the family.

8. March 3, 2013 / 10:38 pm

I dress completely different at my internship, but it's an offer I'm willing to make, because I absolutely love what I get to do for the people I work with.