My Dirty Little Secret: TV and Film

I‘ll be the first to say it, as I always am, I watch terrible television shows and films. Minus the classics, you can’t not like Vertigo or The Addams Family, I take tastes to a new terrible.

Link

American Horror Story
This is debatable as a bad show. I loved the first season (I eat romance up like a Seventeen reading pre-teen) and the second starting and ended well, but overall I’ve heard terrible people say terrible things about it – am so I’ll slot it into my terrible TV list.

Blair Witch 2: Book Of Shadows
This film takes horrible sequels to a new low. The plot starts interestingly, but the ending isn’t anything mind-bending (like it’s attempting) but it’s something I love to watch on chilly mornings while drinking coffee.It holds personal significance as a film I watch when all of my exams are finally over and I can just relax in the morning with a cup of coffee.

The Carrie Diaries
A take on Carrie, from Sex in The City, as a teenager first exploring new york. I eat up the eighties soundtrack like no bodies business. Perms, neon-eyeshadow, platform boots – it’s a bit like the disney version of the alternative scene to me. But the rebellions, Morrissey loving, eyeliner wearing sister gets on my nerves as a terrible representation of what Goth actually was.

Scream
Eighties horror. What’s more to like? Scream has been my favourite horror for a long time – including all of the prequels and sequels.

Pretty Little Liars
An attempt at a horror mystery, where every one’s relationship falls apart ever few episodes and all of the characters (apart from the psychotic) are always in love with some rebellious dick. This goes hand in hand with my terrible ability to resist romance.

So, my taste in terrible television can be summed up as eighties, horror, romance and, well, that’s about it. These aren’t really a secret thing though, certainly not now, because it’s always nice to laugh at yourself – whether that is for being a complete cliche’ or for watching terrible teen programs about fashion in the eighties.

What are your favourite shows to watch? Do you have any programs that you secretly love?

1. May 31, 2013 / 12:13 pm

Oh man, I really disliked the first season of American Horror Story. I actually put off watching the second season because the first was terrible, but the second season was so much better!!
    I'm a huge horror buff, and the first season just really annoyed me with the story line and actors!

2. May 31, 2013 / 2:46 pm

I haven't had a chance to watch The Carrie Diaries, but it sounds interesting! Ugh, I legitimately despise Pretty Little Liars. Within the very first few episodes of the first season, they were already insulting Goths and misrepresenting the subculture- very outright too.

3. May 31, 2013 / 7:41 pm

I watch too much TV for my own good! Hannibal, Sherlock, Vikings, Doctor Who, and Black Books are at the top of my list at the moment.
    As far as secret shows…I suppose Star Trek: The Original Series, but only because it's the one thing I don't blabber to my friends about ^^
    Guilty pleasures are Project Runway and Young Dracula XD

4. May 31, 2013 / 10:41 pm

Ahah, I watch The Carrie Diaries too XD! Yeah, Dorrit kind of bothers me too, because she sure isn't a goth even though she's an "alternative". Morrissey and the Smiths aren't goth, and by the way she only listens to Joy Division or Bauhaus, wow. They could've done a better research on the subculture. Also, I so hoped her goth dresses and taste for music weren't going to be minimized to a "phase" as usual, but I was disappointed again. Gah. But Dorrit aside I kind of liked this series <3

I also watch Pretty Little Liars, it's one of my dirty pleasures <3 I don't know why I keep watching it, for the lol I guess, but it catches me. I'm even sad when the girls break up with their boyfriends XD! Also, I love Alison and that's one good reason to keep watching the show XD

5. June 1, 2013 / 9:00 am

I've been meaning to watch American Horror Story for ages, but I just can't find the time… I don't think your taste in tv and films is that bad. When I feel particularly sucky, I watch bad reality TV (namely, America's Next Top Model). I also watch Glee, and it seems True Blood qualifies as a pretty bad show, so I'm adding that to the list as well. But I promise I like some good TV shows as well.

6. September 25, 2013 / 5:50 pm

I have to admit…I'm pretty excited about season 3 of American Horror Story (Coven). It looks phenomenal, and I don't care what people say about it.