4   67
2   47
4   42
4   76
2   61
4   87
5   101

What The Hell Is Pastel Goth?

When pastel goth style first exploded I heard a lot of people, myself included, wondering what it actually is – as the information about it was still in it’s infancy. But I stumbled across this video on YouTube, while searching for makeup tips, that gives a pretty broad account of it. What do you guys think?

1. June 19, 2013 / 3:01 pm

I could be called a colour Goth, so I am all for acceptance of colour in the community. Pastel Goth itself is a bit too modern and cutesy for me, I like my things to look really old fashioned, as everyone probably already knows. 😛

It kind of ties in a bit with the Tim Burton cute and creepy Goth thing. Which reminds me, I REALLY need a Burtony swirly black and white print dress!

2. June 19, 2013 / 3:17 pm

I originally thought pastel goth was just a trend, a hipster trend trying to squeeze into goth subculture without actually knowing anything about goth. But after a few months, I started to kind of accept that it might be the new thing in goth. If a subculture doesn't grow, change, and evolve, it dies, so I suppose Pastel Goth is just Goth evolving to survive.

3. June 19, 2013 / 3:33 pm

For me it looks like a modern Lolita sort of style.
    But it is not like that, because Lolita has to do with dresses and frilly blouses and the skirt length is important and stuff.

But why call it goth? Even if it is inspired by 'scary' things.
    It has nothing to do with post punk or other gothy music genres.

In my opinion it should be made into an entirely different style.

For me it still looks like the hipster thing but yea who am I to judge? So I feel it is inspired by goth but I cant see it as part of the subculture. Especially because pastel goths don't really mix with the people in the subculture. I never see them at alternative bars and clubs for instance.

There are so many people in the world and we put them in boxes. Which is not a bad thing because it helps to understand who they are(even though most people don't fit just in one). But I feel that pastel and goth are entirely different boxes.

4. June 19, 2013 / 4:37 pm

As I said on my blog – I wasn't too into it to begin with… but now I think it's adorable!
    I don't see anything wrong with it at all c: it's cute.

5. June 19, 2013 / 5:31 pm

Goth as music subculture has always been about the music, which is why you don't have to dress "goth" to be Goth. That being said, if someone enjoys the Gothic subculture, or aspects of it, but doesn't want to wear black, so be it. I personally don't think they should call themselves Goth if they don't associate with the subculture, but there's tons of people who do such, so I'm angry with those individuals in the same way I am with Mansonites. For it as a fashion, I think it's cute, not something I would wear, but definitely cute.

6. June 19, 2013 / 10:56 pm

I have said before in my blog that I like certain visual aspects of pastel goth. I was not too fond of it when it first came up due to my silly thoughts of.."That is so not goth!!!" but I turned another cheek. I do not like the "goth" part of it but I understand where it comes from. Finding beauty in things others may not find beautiful. Finding beauty in darkness. I love the look of baggy shirts with tights and stompy boots. I take little hints of pastel goth and put it into my wardrobe.

7. June 20, 2013 / 12:08 am

Pastel goth always looked to me like a combination of lolita and other japanese styles and little bit of goth. And I like both. I think it´s a good video, I didn´t know much about pastel goth other, that knowing some pictures. And I like that she said, it was more a style.
    There are some aspects that I like, but to be honest…somehow I don´t really like the word goth in the term pastel goth 😀 I have to agree with Lis… It really should be made into new different style. That would be great and probably both sides would be happier. 😀
    But, as long as they "behave" and don´t go totally crazy I don´t really mind…

8. Dana
    June 20, 2013 / 1:18 am

That was a lovely video, really enlightening on the pastel goth look. I personally think that this fashion is really cute and I'm sort of glad its around.

As for the label of goth, I think its important to consider that our subculture can't claim everything just because we share a title. were the Visigoths and Ostrogoths the Bauhaus loving goths we known today? No, but they're still goths. If they want to use the title goth thats fine, who is it hurting?

As she said its just a look and in my mind fashion is meant to indulge in, not to be taken seriously.

9. June 20, 2013 / 11:01 pm

@Dana: I totally second that. Great response!

10. June 21, 2013 / 12:48 am

I like the look and all, but I haven't really seen it anywhere except online. I do agree that it's its own look and not the traditional "whited-out" goth look. I haven't seen anyone in NYC–not in the city proper or hipster-mecca williamsburg.

11. June 21, 2013 / 9:21 am

I see it totally as a fashion only. And to use "Goth" to describe it is a little to heavy. Creepy cute would be the best I guess. I've never met a pastel Goth so I don't know what characteristics are common to them 🙂
    I think everything starts to merge and here we have alternative mainstream fashion. Don't even know how to call it. We coming to the point where underground style is fashionable for the commoners to wear :)They just adjust it to their needs.

12. June 25, 2013 / 7:35 am

I think it's a fun subcat, even if it has been incorrectly named. All things should adapt with changing times, otherwise they don't survive, so I think we should roll with it.

13. July 23, 2013 / 12:20 pm

I think pastel goth is a respectable subculture. If a person lives in warm-hot climates, it is really difficult to be a goth by wearing all black. Should he suffer from the heat or not be a goth at all? Well. Pastel colours can be gothy and don't absorb sun as much as darker colours. Also, the style is special, elegant and pretty. So why not?

14. August 5, 2014 / 8:42 pm

I'm pastel (As you may have noticed) And yeah… most of the time pastel goths arent the most enlightened to the subculture. But I have known about the subculture and havent dressed the way I wanted to for a long time… any one who looked at me wouldnt have thought it. So what, Im not goth? Because I can appreciate the subculture not wearing a culture? If you look at the "true" pastel goths, they will like the same things that classics like. They just like to add in colour. But, there are a lot of them that like to overly do the pastel and wear some skull earrings- that isnt what Im talking about. (Hey, I'm just defending my people here, no need to be upset of you do ^_^) But think about it like this- Pastel goth is new… so all of us are babybats in that subculture, we will mess up. Because next to nobody can say they didnt mess up as babybats 🙂