On My Septum Piercing Experience

A little note that I kind of screw up a bit. Gmail changed it’s format and I took no notice of it so I haven’t been receiving any emails with comments. I’m going through and reading everything now. I’m not ignoring you! I promise!

If you follow me on Tumblr, you would have already seen that I got my Septum pierced and all of the whining I did about having to change my appointment due to being sick. Plus the bouts of anger every-time Coen slightly hit me in the face and I erupted into a dramatic painful sorrow.

I’ve enjoyed reading and watching tonnes of videos on everyone’s different experience (funnily enough I did absolutely no research before I had it done, which was probably not the best idea). So, here’s my experience so far even though its only been two weeks (if anything drastic happens – oh god, I hope not – I’ll update it or do a part two).

Did it hurt?

Yes, it hurt a lot. I wasn’t too worried about the pain though, since I’ve gotten piercings before I knew what to expect in general, and I’ve wanted this piercing for a few years. In comparison with other piercings, it’s been my most painful piercing. It hurt more than my nostril piercing, ear piercings and surprisingly my lip piercing.

Do they pierce the cartilage?

Sometimes. I asked my piercer this same question. She explained that the section that gets pierced is a kind of skin pocket that can be felt nearer to the tip of the tip of your nose, sometimes referred to as the “sweet spot”. This can be felt if you feel around a bit as it’s a lot more flexible and stretchy than the cartilage.

Though, sometimes people don’t have this pocket, or the pocket is very small (everyone’s bodies are different). Alternatively, some people choose to get it pierced on the cartilage purely for aesthetic reasons (not many people would advise it since it takes a lot longer to heal, is a lot more painful and means you can’t stretch it easily). If your piercer accidentally pierces the cartilage I would prompt you to go back to the piercer as soon as possible and talk to them about re-piercing it.

Did you cry?

Actually I did. Not
because I was scared (though there’s nothing wrong if you are) but
because, well, they pierced apart of my nose and naturally your eyes
water. Now, when I got my nostril pierced my eyes watered but nothing
like my septum. I’m thinking it was because of the difference in pain
and that I’d been very recently sick that caused me to legitimately tear
up – all over my face.

Too small to flip up – but it was custom bent by the piercer so, I’m okay with that.

Did it bleed?

Annoyingly enough my tearing up caused my nose to drip (again I’d been recently sick) to a ridiculous extent. And while it did bleed a little, I think it was mostly because of my dripping nose.

Can you hide it?

Yes, but my circular barbel is small enough that it can’t currently flip up.

Are you going to stretch it?

Yes, I am. Over the next few years I’m going to be stretching my septum really slowly. I actually didn’t want to before I had gotten it, but my current size (16 gauge) is too small for my liking. I was thinking of going to ten or eight gauge. But that may change.

How do you clean it?

Sea salt soaks twice a day, and I use a tissue to remove any build-up (aka crusties or snot) that gets stuck around it (but only when it became less tender to touch). Int he shower I poke the tip of my nose up to let the water run over it. Other than that I just leave it alone.

You can usually barely see it – it’s so tiny.

What was the heeling like?

The first day was spent sleeping because I just could not bare to deal with it. My sinuses were still being silly and causing my nose to drip down my septum ring. It was too painful to touch, plus I didn’t want to contaminate it too much, so when it got runny (mostly the first two days and part of the third) I just took a nap so that it dried up a bit.

The first three days were very touchy. I couldn’t touch the outside of my nose, let alone the inside. I couldn’t make certain facial expressions since it pulls on the ring hurts me which lead to a ridiculous episode with really nice soup that turned out to be not-so-nice as soup drinking face caused the sharpest pain throughout the whole experience.

Amongst this after sea salt soaks and getting it wet (while washing my face or in the shower) it was extremely itchy.So, very itchy!

Most of the pain was gone in a week. The only pain occurring if I bump my nose or pull extreme facial expressions (rarely) or play with it too much.

What piercings do you have/want and what were they like?

1. July 28, 2013 / 12:33 pm

This was an interesting post, and you made me feel my "sweet spot" 😉
    I pierced my belly-button on my own when I was 16. But I didn't go deep enough, and after a few weeks I took it out.
    I also pierced my lip some 10 years ago, but took it out after only a few months. I felt pretty sexy for a while but then I started feeling like I couldn't keep up the look.

2. July 28, 2013 / 1:25 pm

awesome! thanks for the post! and it looks fantastic on you. And they did a great job on the jewelry… it looks perfect on you. around the 4th of july I was thinking of getting a septum piercing myself. I'm kind of getting tired of my lip ring and wanted something to replace it. I wanted a septum pierced at a 12 g. I really want to wear pincers/crescents in it. I actually lingered outside of the piercing studio for like a half hour before I chickened out. actually, I did this several times. so, it really was the most painful… that's a bummer. For me, least painful piercing was my nose–most painful was my industrial. the industrial was constant pain for about a year. both of these are cartilage piercings, so i'm very confused.

• July 28, 2013 / 8:38 pm

I really want to wear pinches and crescents as well!

3. July 28, 2013 / 3:52 pm

Very interesting reading! 🙂 You look great with a septum piercing! My experience with the septum piercing is a little bit different; it didn't hurt much at all when doing it but stretching it was extremely painful. My lip piercing hurt a lot more and surprisingly so did the "regular" ear piercings. XD Also, my septum piercing was a bit skew since my septum is not completely straight so I had to redo it.

4. July 28, 2013 / 4:35 pm

Wow, that article came when I was thinking also for my septum piercing…it looks great on you but the thing that you have mentioned about pain really worries me:(

• July 28, 2013 / 8:39 pm

Don't worry. Most people don't feel it at all. Plus, it's over before you ever realise. :3

• February 25, 2015 / 5:45 am

I'm a complete wimp, and on a scale from 1-10 it was a 2. My septum piercing is my only piercing other than my standard lobes. If you're afraid, that's good! Your adrenaline will wash out the pain!

5. July 28, 2013 / 10:13 pm

I really like septum piercings, but I don't think they'd look good on me. My nose is rather wide. Plus I'm a huge wuss so pain is never a good concept for me…Looks really cute on you though!

6. July 29, 2013 / 1:21 am

That looks really good on you! I'd never be able to pull off a septum piercing. It just wouldn't fit.

I still have a bit of hypotrophic scarring around my 6 month old nostril piercing, which is really more unsightly than anything else. Luckily, it's gradually going away with sea salt compresses, and I'll finally be able to change it soon. I really want my lip done, but I'm going to have to wait till college for that, so I'm planning on a lot more on my ears ^^

7. July 29, 2013 / 8:10 am

Septum piercing is the most good looking piercing. 🙂 Except for stretched earlobes, if that counts as piercing!
    It looks really good on you. 🙂
    I've had a septum done twice, this last one I've had for 4-5 years and as it is now, I'll never remove it again. <3
    I stretched mine to 14 gauge (2mm) from 16 gauge. It's a huge difference, it's so much prittier now. 😀 I have a small ring too so it looks thicker than you would expect.
    Good luck with the healing! And it will heal just fine even if you happen to get a cold. ;P

8. July 30, 2013 / 6:34 am

I love the new ring Sary, it looks so cute but how ever you choose to change it will look fabulous, you always do n.n

9. July 30, 2013 / 11:38 am

I didn't do any research either! I just walked in with my friend when we were walking past, no discussion no nothing. It felt like it was pre planned but it wasn't 😛

It's strange, I found it to be the least painful of all my piercing and the easiest upkeep. I didn't even know it was there unless as you said someone whacks your nose or you blow it or whatever.

It's such a strange concept to me, the different way people percieve pain. It's so interesting. Sometimes I wish we could jump into each other's brains to feel if things feel different for everyone. That'd be so cool.

Anyway, it looks awesome!

10. August 15, 2013 / 10:14 pm

I think the piercing looks really good on you :3 I've been thinking about having my septum pierced for a while now, but I'm still not sure whether I would be able to pull it off or not :/

11. Anonymous
    April 27, 2016 / 3:32 am

The piercing looks really good. I researched mine, bought temporarias and everything for three months before I finally talked myself into getting it done. I've had it over 6 months and I love it.

It was over quick and by the time I got 'oh crap ' out of my mouth it was in. The pain for me didn't last an hour and I forgot it was in more often then not.

I say try faux septum piercings first for a while to see if those of you who are unsure like them before piercing, it'll help you decide.