4   38
3   82
5   96
5   99
2   71
1   69

Three Simple Tricks For Eyeliner That Will Save You Money

For a long time alternative people were known by their increased use of eyeliner – at least when I was younger. But it does ring true with our persisted use for wings, flicks, webs, cat eyes and hearts. So, here are a few quick eyeliner tips that I’ve collected during my time searching through make-up blogs that will save you money.

cat eye, eyeliner, goth, winged, wing, septum,
Photo by Soulstealer on Flickr.

Melt it!

Save money by buying cheaper eyeliner pencils. When the tip is hard
before application run the flame of a lighter over the tip really
quickly to soften it up. Not too much though or you’lll burn yourself.

Set it!

If you have a really cheap liquid liner (or any eye-liner really but it
helps cheap liquids a lot) set it with eyeshadow. It will last a million
years, honestly.

Heat it!

If you’re Gel Eyeliner dries out, heat it up in the microwave for thirty
seconds or with a hairdrier. Just a warning that this WILL diminish the
shelf-life of your gel-liner dramatically.

What tips do you have?

1. July 27, 2013 / 11:01 am

I have a good tip: when your liquid liner (or mascara) is drying out, put in a few drops of water. Close the lid and shake the bottle for a few seconds and the eyeliner should be more useable 🙂

• July 28, 2013 / 2:54 am

A longer lasting version is to use mineral oil. It won't dry out that way.

2. July 27, 2013 / 11:17 am

I agree with the melted trick! When I don't have the money for good quality pencils I have to do this, then I use a fine eyeliner brush. Also, you can use sealing gel or a small drop of water mixed with loose powder/pigments to create a custom eyeliner. None of my tricks are all that inventive though. =) Great list!

• July 27, 2013 / 12:22 pm

I've always wanted to try that trick (the loose powder trick). I've heard that you can use a certain eye-drops as a mixing medium for super cheap and it works just as well. :3

3. July 27, 2013 / 1:08 pm

I use gel eyeliner and I find it helpful to mush up the eyeliner so it is nice and soft ore application. And I always set with eyeshadow regardless of quality, just makes it last so much longer.

I never thought of melting the eyeliner before that is a tip I will have to try out 😛

4. July 27, 2013 / 1:45 pm

Hmm, I may have to try heating my gel eyeliner, as it's getting old and more difficult to apply (though I still have lots of it left, though, so I might do like Katelynn and mush it up first).

This is undoubtedly a stupid question, but how should you set with eyeshadow? Do you put dark stuff directly over the liner?

• July 27, 2013 / 9:13 pm

Well, if you're using a black eye-liner just take like an angled brush (or any brush really) and pat the same colour (or another if you want to create a trippy effect) on top gently. With cheap shadows if you drag it might make the liner chip – which is why setting it so good. :3 But, not a stupid question at all!

• August 1, 2013 / 4:09 pm

Perfect! I had figured it was basically that, but was curious in case you had to put it all over the lid, or if there was some secret MUA trick I should know. 😛

5. July 27, 2013 / 1:56 pm

Oh these are very helpful! I have a tip although it is not for saving. I use a brush from a professional makeup company and I buy a cheap gel eyeliner and use that brush instead of the hard one they come with. The result is stunning!

6. July 27, 2013 / 4:15 pm

When I get to the last of my eyeliner and it's mostly stuck to the sides and tacky, I usually put it in a mug of hot water (not boiling, 1-2 minutes in the microwave should do it) and after a moment or two the eyeliner melts off the sides of the tube and into the range of the brush so it's more usable. Also works great for mascara.

• July 27, 2013 / 9:15 pm

That's a great tip. I'm a little frightened of microwaving gel-liner pots and this sound so much easier!

7. July 27, 2013 / 4:21 pm

I always buy cheaper eyeliner and run a lighter over it. It helps the liner run smoother and not tug. This is a tip I use. (not necessarily for saving money) When I line my eyes and wing my eyeliner I dip a q-tip in eye makeup remover to fix mistakes and make the cat eye look perfect and straight.

8. August 15, 2013 / 7:31 pm

These are really good tips :3 I think I'm going to try the 'setting it with eyeshadow' tip ^^