Almost Ten Points on How I Dress AKA. Facts About My Goth Wardrobe

This isn’t by any means a malicious post; no one has been dictating how I should or shouldn’t dress (not any more than usual anyway). I was reading Mr Walks & Talk’s top ten tips for smarter shopping which got me into think about the way I dress myself and that there are a few ways that I dress myself consistently.Which happened to coincide perfectly with a new Goth Challenge post by the name of Ten Facts About My Goth Wardrobe. For more information on the Goth Challenge check out this link here.

I wasn’t sure what photo to use, so have this picture of me taking a picture of myself.

I Wear Clothes That Don’t Fit

His top one is “know your fit” but I wear clothes that are not my size
all the time. I’ve learned that if I really like something that I will
make it work (for instance over-sized shirts, cardigans, high-waisted denim shorts and overthings).

I Down-Play My Bust

This may be one that you would have never guessed but I’ve actually got a pretty average bust. Throughout all of the styles of dress I’ve partaken in, I have always worn over-sized shirts, cardigans, and nothing that shows any cleavage (cleavage is not my thing at all).

I Dress Casually

Sometimes I get
intimidated by other Goth’s that dress to the nines everyday. It’s not
that I don’t have the clothes to imitate that kind of dressing (woe to
my corset collection and platforms that are never worn), it’s that I’m
not very partial to it myself. I’d much prefer to throw on ripped
stockings, a pair of short shorts, a layer-y sweater and top it off with
some bulky, eighties-esque sunnies.

Wearing Coen’s shirt.

I Spend More Time Wearing Coen’s Clothes Than My Own

Men’s clothes are so comfortable and clean-cut. I wear them all the time and a lot of the time we get our clothes mixed up (we have the same pairs of jeans and some shirts). It doesn’t help that we’re basically the same size (he’s worn said jeans to work without realising).

I Play-Up My Legs

You must have heard the saying that if you wear something fitted on top, the bottom should be loose, yes? While I disagree with this complete (wear what ever you want!) I tend to display my legs and hide my chest.

Sun Glasses Are The Best Accessory

It’s been more recently that I’ve learned to appreciate sunglasses. Waking up early takes its tole on your eyes, especially when piling on that make up and so, the sun really isn’t doing them any favours. Not to mention when I suddenly have to be somewhere – because someone doesn’t understand that it does take time for me to look this amazing (you know I’m kidding!) – I can just throw on some sunscreen, highlight my face with concealer and wear my sun glasses and no one would know any better.

It’s funny that even without realising it things like where we buy our clothes and the insecurities we have affect that way we dress; even our personal preferences can work their way into our outfits without us even blinking an eye in question.

Have you guys noticed any particular ways you dress? Let me know, I’d love to hear.

1. September 13, 2013 / 5:40 pm

Hi Sary,

Glad my blog post got you thinking! Thanks so much for the shoutout! Your blog is great and has a very unique style; keep it up!

Cheers,

Justin

2. September 13, 2013 / 5:44 pm

it seems a lot of people in the blogosphere are doing all kinds of wardrobe remakes or wardrobe analyzing lately, so I have been thinking about the subject too! I have a tendency towards quite a limited array of colors (black, brown, dark red, dark teal) and my top hat is my signature piece. I usually play up my waist, most of my clothing is either tight in the waist or I wear it with a belt. I fluctuate between quite fiminine (hourglass) silhouettes and more androgynous styles and when I wear androgynous I tend to down play my bust. And I never wear a bra, ever, I don't even own one… I am also obesessed with sleeves that are wide-wide-wide but that button tight at the wrist.

Um, I could continue on and on… Maybe I should just write a blog post of my own. 😉

3. September 13, 2013 / 11:00 pm

Yeah, I'm weird about my bust too. I prefer turtlenecks and high collars. I'm also a bit stuffy. I trick I like to use with a lot of low cut shirts is just to wear them backwards. If you don't want an open back you can just wear a cardigan or vest or something. I had a million hand-me-downs from my sister that I ended up wearing backwards because I got tired of safety pinning the shirt closed. Also, I LOVE boy clothes.

4. September 14, 2013 / 2:38 am

I wear clothing that doesn't fit as well as dress casually pretty much all the time. My music taste has been moving more and more towards punk and I think I am starting to take on a "I don't give a shit" attitude towards fashion. Oh well at least I spend less time getting ready in the morning.

PS, you are lucky you are able to play down your bust. as someone with an above average chest it is nearly impossible to conceal unless I forfeit a well fitting bra.

5. September 15, 2013 / 2:14 am

I tend to wear clothes that aren't my fit exactly either. It really depends, sometimes I'll feel like wearing something a little more lose and other times close fitting. Though sadly since I gained weight I've been finding it difficult to dress myself in clothes I like. Sometimes, I too will feel a little intimidated by other alternative people, those who are very out there with their wardrobe. It's not to say I don't have the wardrobe, but it no longer fits me (all stored away). I feel a little more uncomfortable dressing as such with my weight gain. My bust, I wish I could down play it as well but once again weight gain = bigger bust. It makes it pretty hard.

It all comes back to my weight gain. Damn you weight! *fist shake*

6. September 15, 2013 / 5:07 am

Awesome! So many of mine are similar to yours. I also don't think clevage is my thing either; I feel so uncomfortable if I'm showing even the slightest bit of chest. And yeah I play up my legs too. Baggy on top and always leggings haha. Also corsets are for special occasions. Who could be fucked dressing up all the time.

7. September 15, 2013 / 8:35 am

Ahah, I tend to dress kind of casual too 😀 I could pull off edgier outfits but not on my everyday life, I always end up wearing my corsets and such stuff on the weekends.
    And you're so right, men's clothes are so comfortable! There's nothing more comfy than my boyfriend's hoodies XD.
    By the way it shows that you have some kind of "scheme" in your style: baggy on the top, tighter on the legs, ripped tights and some sunglasses. I think your style is unique and that it fits you very well 🙂

8. September 15, 2013 / 4:33 pm

I used to dress really casual, but I've been paying more attention to the way I dress for the last couple of years. When I'm not at university I usually prefer to wear more skirts and very feminine things (which aren't very practical for travelling), I've also developed a fondness of high heels ^^ I'm a bit insecure about my abdomen, so I usually don't wear clothes that are tight-fitting around that area, although I do make exceptions.