That Mint Dress; Goth Styling Tips

Before I get to dresses, you should all stop by Pensuasion and vote on her Halloween Howl-Fest if you haven’t (a blogger run movie poll for the Halloween season). I loving the idea and I’ll certainly be watching a tonne of them!

Plus, this post has been submitted in ModCloth’s Uniquely Yours competition for bloggers, based around the forever adored and useful Polyvore. Don’t forget to check out ModCloth’s own Polyvore for clothes and outfits to drool over.

Ever received a dress from a friend or relative that expected you to wear it? What if that dress was a bright mint green colour? Well, I’m here to tell you that there’s no need to fret because by the end of this blog post you’ll have a few too many tips up your sleeve for this exact situation. Beside that, it works for any dress you want to style different! Are you ready for this magical and far-too-bright ride? I certainly am not.

Pastel Goth
Click for item details at Polyvore.

If In Doubt Throw Some Skulls On It: AKA The Pastel Goth Way

If you’re working with something very colourful a simple way to Goth it up a bit is to use typical Gothy tropes, like bats, skulls, stripes or even skeletons. Don’t forget to throw a tonne of black all up in that dress to show it who’s boss.

Make It A Skirt: No, Not Literally

I’m sure any family member or friend would be a bit heartbroken if you tore into their gift with scissors. But a simple way to make a dress into a skirt is to wear a blouse over it (one that doesn’t look strange with the size of the bodice) and to fold it up to the waist. Fold towards the inside and seal with a belt to hold everything in place.

Goth Shoes
Okay, that totally wasn’t supposed to rhyme.

Shoes Define The Outfit

Above are three of my favourite Goth-able shoes (actually I’ve seen exact copies on lots of alternative people recently – unfortunately not my own feet). Besides, is there an outfit with winkle-pickers don’t look amazing with? I don’t think so. If you’re feeling brave you could even throw on a killer pair of Demonia boots.

What are your tips for styling something that just isn’t dark enough for your tastes? Have you ever been given a gift that you just couldn’t or wouldn’t wear?

1. October 1, 2013 / 10:47 am

These are all very good tips. Useful for when I want to put on something colourful but don't want to give up my love for gothic 😀 the "make it a skirt" advice was probably my favourite.
    I have to admit I never even try to gothify an outfit that has a non-goth piece of clothing; that must be because I'm afraid to look like one of those people who wear gothy stuff because it's trendy but don't really know anything about the subculture XD – and I really don't have a problem with these people, the subculture isn't mine and they can do whatever they want with it; it's just that I don't want to be mistaken for one of them, because I sort of want to demonstrate that I can do much better with my outfits XD ahah!

2. October 1, 2013 / 1:01 pm

Nice tips! I'll try to use them when i receive another dress of my family, haha!

Dawn / Artofbeingweird.wordpress.com

3. October 2, 2013 / 12:58 am

Eee thanks for posting this, I loooove that bat purse and I found it on eBay for a little cheaper. It's just so silly and cute. x3 Great tip on dresses btw!

• October 2, 2013 / 4:46 am

I'm glad you enjoyed the bag, it's my favourite part of the whole post! :3

4. October 2, 2013 / 5:10 am

That bat purse is really cute 😛

I regularly goth-up items of clothing which aren't very gothy. It's quite easy to do with a few accessories, a jacket and shoes 🙂

5. October 4, 2013 / 6:10 am

I actually have a mint green dress. I think I'm going to see how many different ways I can goth it up. I'll give you a link when I get around to doing it, and I'll link to this post as my inspiration. 🙂 Thanks for the idea.

6. October 9, 2013 / 2:18 am

I am so into pastel goth lately. Love the little collage you put together — mmmmm, mint green, purple, and black. 🙂

Macie,
    AMEN FASHION

7. August 5, 2014 / 7:15 pm

I actually like to wear pastels… In moderation. I would wear a statement pastel, then add in a lot of gothic elements… that makes me pastel goth I guess ^_^ Its really nice for me, though I'm constantly switching between punk/classic goth and pastel goth. So annoying sometimes. If I had all of the money I wanted I would probably buy like a thousand pounds worth of velvet garments, lace clothes, and then the little quirky pastel blouse or dress that I would combine. I think that is what makes pastel goth. In a way, its more imaginative than regular goth, if you do it the way I do. Its like you try to make the outfit into something that defines you but you dont want any of the girliness to overwhelm the goth. Its tiring, but the end result is beautiful to me 🙂
    Good job, it looks really cute. And the shoes underneath the winklepickers are so beautiful, I want them so bad. Gahhh, now I have to add MORE things to my list… Dangit, there goes the bank