11 Things to Think About Before Buying that Perfect Goth Outfit

So, a super-awesome-reader emailed me and amongst the copious amount of flattery that I don’t deserve they asked if I could write a little bit about budgeting. I’ve mentioned throughout a tonne of posts the various tactics that I’m currently employing to try to focus my spending on things I’ll actually wear. And as I’ve spent far-too-much time thinking about my own personal economy I’ve picked up some bits and pieces that really work (just not a life-time plan that lasts).

Gin Scream by Soulstealer – Apparently also a “behind the scenes shoot from The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing video shoot for the song GIN!” They definitely, seem like they know something we all should.

1. I never ever spend more in a fortnight than I earn in a fortnight (but I guess rent, travel fees and groceries do that to a person).
  2. I have a horrible tendency to choose fashion over important life ‘things’. It’s two thousand and fourteen and I’m still using a third-hand CLT computer screen that is probably giving me cancer as I type on it right now but just the other week seriously considered buying a four-hundred dollar part of shoes (I didn’t by the way, don’t worry!). My point is, DON’T DO THIS. Sure, if you really want or need to buy a new bag you might want to buy store-brand rather than organic but please don’t even put a new pair of shoes over, for instance, travel money to get yourself an education.
  3. Keep obsessive tabs on your bank account. Those little bits and pieces that we don’t really notice ourselves spending money on add up.
  4. Wait for birthdays, Christmas and the like, and ask for bigger picture items as presents. Or just plain money, of course, for you to supplement the rest.
  5. Plan well! When I was a young’un I was obsessed with badly attempting to play guitar but, oh no, my acoustics were never enough. I ended up washing the dishes for five dollars a week until I earned three hundred dollars to buy my first and only electric guitar (yes, it was horrible quality but I was never that into guitars anyway).The point is if you love an item enough it will be able to spend a little more time on your wishlist without you falling in love with something else more.
  6. In saying that, wait a while before you purchase things. You might not like it as much as you think.
  7. I’ve said this before but Retail Me Not is one of my favourite websites because they almost always have great working coupons to get at least ten percent off! I know that UK and Australian University students can get discounts at lots of main retailers. But, if those ideas fall short, there’s nothing better than a good old sale.
  8. Some of my most worn items have come from thrift stores. They’re great places to pick up basics and the occasional perfectly unique item!
  9. Wait again! My own system, because I’m an avid online shopper, is to wait until my last order arrives before I buy anything else.
  10. EBay is actually really great for simple and super cheap basics that don’t always turn out horrible (be warned they sometimes do!).
  11. Check the material. Will it last? I’ve recently given myself a rule to never buy 100% polyester again by personal preference. I suggest looking into basic material guides a bit; lots of bloggers have some wonderful informative posts out there. My own little guide is that silk lasts long and is comfy but is harder to wash and stains easily; cotton is good for hot weather but crinkles like mad; viscose feels a lot like cotton, breaths well and doesn’t crinkle as easily; leather and good quality pleathers last a million years and only look better with age (though, don’t get real leather too wet); velvet is warm, doesn’t breath but don’t get it wet; velveteen is warm, stretches more, doesn’t breath and isn’t destroyed in rain and, oh god, there are so many more I want to talk about.

Anyway, for other links you should totally check out:

There is so much more that I don’t want to force into this already packed posts (let me know if you want a Lazy Walrus’ Guide to Gothy Fabrics or something). Oh, and tell us all how you budget and your tips!

1. March 21, 2014 / 10:50 am

I buy everyting second hand (from various places.. ebay, trift stores, other internet buy/sell/trade communities). I've heard some shit about me that I spend too much on my clothes when really my whole outfit is cheaper than one item in any reguar cothing store. People really pay that kind of money on ONE thing?
    I'm willing to pay more for handcrafted items and good quality footwear.

2. March 21, 2014 / 2:41 pm

Aaah, I love the Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing! Excellent photo choice.

I too have to budget quite strictly – other than one pair of sunglasses (to replace a lost pair) and two charity shop purchases I haven't bought anything since December. I do feel, however, that you need to treat yourself once in a while and buy something to refresh your wardrobe, and make sure that I save a little bit every week so that I have some in the bank when it comes to it.

I definitely agree with charity shopping and asking at birthdays (half my wardrobe is made of gifts); My own advice would be to pay for good shoes (always worth it) and good quality, avoid online and IRL window browsing (you can't be tempted if you don't know that it exists), and for the younger readers avoid buying statement pieces; when you're still developing your style, you fall in and out of love with various inspirations and pieces that wouldn't even register with you later. And of course, if you can, buy ethically.

3. March 21, 2014 / 4:58 pm

I am a obsessive ebay shopper myself. I shop there for years already, and usually I get great stuff. There are also some other great tips in this article, especially the 'wait' one. You have to wait. Give yourself some rules. Great post 🙂

x Dawn

4. March 21, 2014 / 5:14 pm

Good post! 🙂

This may sound silly, but… collect your change!! Shopping with debit cards makes this difficult, but if you DO use actual money, empty your change into a special container and DO NOT use it until the container is full. (An exception for this is emergency change for the laundry if you don't have use of a free washer and/or dryer). I've saved so much money this way that I was shocked, and I always save it for those treats, like clothes, that I sometimes want but "can't afford" otherwise. It also helps that I do most of my shopping at thrift stores (the U.S. term for charity shops).

5. March 21, 2014 / 9:07 pm

Great post! I'm a thrift person myself. That's where I get most of my clothes and they are great. Beautiful and black just how I like them. I would love to spend lots of money on things I really don't need like fancy clothes, accessories, gadgets and what not. But like you, like anyone else I have to think about more important things like, Do I want to eat this week? Do I enjoy having a roof over my head or can I fit my closet inside of a new pair of snazy boots? Think before shopping is definately a good idea. 🙂 Thanks for posting.

6. March 21, 2014 / 10:43 pm

I *love* ebay, too. I buy mostly sewing books and equipment, but it's definitely a good spot for some decent wardrobe pieces.

My bits of advice? It pays to learn how to sew. Something mass produced can be reinforced to last a lifetime. Mend and patch everything instead of replacing it. Solid knowledge of fabric care means that something which might be considered ruined, is something that is likely solvable; for example, when the pile on velvet gets wrinkled, a needle board with your iron can restore it. If you don't have a needle board, then simply brushing it in the proper grain with a nail brush while using your hand to smooth out the rough brush lines, while the velvet is wet, then letting it dry undisturbed, also works like a charm.

7. March 22, 2014 / 12:56 am

ever get something in the mail you forgot you ordered? yeesh. Also, don't buy dry-clean only items. THAT will suck the money right out of you. I don't buy anything I can't wash in a washing machine.