Quick Tips for Dressing like the Young Witches of AHS

American Horror Story: Coven finished a while ago and though the plot was a little on the “oh, dear” side, the characters left much for inspiration freaks like myself. How do you dress like part of the coven, you ask (or not)? Here’s a little guide on how you can achieve that perfect  “fabulous spoilt brat” or “Stevie Nicks groupie” look!

Image from Tumblr

Link

Nan

Think Kinderwhore without the whore.
She sums up ideas of spooky little Victorian girls in worn dresses.
Things like old white collared blouses, velvet dresses, mary-janes and
white stockings. Think Wednesday Addams but don’t forget the ear muffs
to block out all those nasty thoughts!

Link

Madison Montgomery

Definitely my favourite character in the show. She brings up thoughts of that old-fashioned celebrity opulence with a side of modern day sexuality. This look would call for a fur coat, six inch heels, body-con dress and certainly some inappropriate comebacks.

Link

Zoe Benson

Zoe wears lots of aspects of current trendy fashion; often a bit grungy or boyish with some borderline western pieces. Throw on a t-shirt and leggings with some western buckled
winklepickers or even a loose maxi-dress with a cardigan. The key to dressing like Zoey is comfort.

Link

Queenie

The only character to really play with Punk rock aspects is Queenie. She wears leather vests over tribal printed blouses, studs accent a lot of her clothes and can often be found wearing some good old leopard print or camo. While her style is usually quite utilitarian she plays up her hair often, with lovely twists to add some femininity.

Link

Misty Day

Misty’s main aim is to morph into that of which is Stevie Nicks. It’s safe to say, she dressed in a mixture of chiffon dresses, lace, layered bohemian accessories like lots of belts, and that signature fringed shawl to swirl around in to Seven Wonders.

If I’m honest to my myself I’m more of a Zoe (a bit lazy, but I try to put a nice spin to things) or maybe Queenie. Madison is far to high maintenance, Kinderwhore dresses are a huge investment and hard to find which knocks Nan out,  and Misty’s layering is purely a thing of dreams for me. If you were in the Coven how would you dress? If you were your own character what would you be like? I’ve been obsessed with telekinesis since I was a young’un watching Matilda but I’m in love with Transmutation.

1. March 10, 2014 / 1:55 pm

Ugh! I need to watch this season! Me and my man have made it a new tradition to not watch it until the DVD comes out so we can watch it together. If I was in Coven, definitely velvet dresses, clunky combat boots, messy teased hair, and giant circle sunglasses. Now that my hair is getting longer I have started to really love wearing it in loose pigtails (Wednesday Addams) and I will have to wait for winter to wear velvet since summer is close by here.

2. March 10, 2014 / 3:18 pm

I looooove Misty's style! My favourite dresses though are the long black ones that Madison wears in the class trip and Zoe at the burning. I also love the Stevie shawl, of course, and Nan's outfits. Long and flowy or a bit of a sweet evil little girl with A-line skirt works for me, but bodycon definitely does not. And of course, I pretty much wear my boots 24/7.

I can't wait til the weather gets colder here! I have the most amazing Russian inspired looking velvet Vintage dress I bought back in September last year! Sigh, Australia!

3. March 10, 2014 / 3:47 pm

American Horror Story is on the long, long list of shows I need to watch, though I'm unsure as I'm not really a horror fan. I do like the fashion you've featured here, though, particularly Madison and Misty.

4. March 10, 2014 / 6:13 pm

I love aspects of all of the different styles of these women. I'd mix the style of Nan and Madison for a perfect look. In reality I'm more a Zoe, with a touch of Qeenie on a regular day and a touch of Madison when I want to look fancy.

5. March 10, 2014 / 9:57 pm

I would die with six inch heels so I'll have to go with Misty 🙂 So I'm Misty who feels like Madison. Or Madison would be my alter ego 😀

6. March 11, 2014 / 5:39 am

I've only caught bits of AHS: Coven here and there. I loved your fashion profiles for the characters. I feel like I know a little more about them now. I really must catch up on this show sometime.

I have this occasional, recurring dream about having telekinetic abilities. It's so vivid that I kind of surprise myself when I wake up and realize that I can't really move things with my mind.

7. March 11, 2014 / 9:08 am

I loved the clothes in this show so much 🙂

8. March 11, 2014 / 10:10 am

I love the fact that it is very full in the bottom, and made to fit on the top. I've always wanted a dress like this, so this is an absolute dream come true! I would recommend this dress to anyone.

9. March 18, 2014 / 4:05 am

Welp. I'm already a witch and pretty comfortable with the way I look/dress, so as a self-insert character I probably wouldn't look or act much different. 🙂

10. March 20, 2014 / 9:56 pm

Madison's furs need to be mine and I love all of Misty's boho pieces, but really, I dress like you: a mix of Zoe and Queenie. Comfortable punk? Great post 🙂

xo Ashley
    thetiniestfirecracker.com

11. March 28, 2014 / 3:27 am

I love this post! As I was watching AHS I was thinking the whole time how much I love everyone's clothes. She's not in your post, but I fell in love with Fiona's style first! Secondly would probably be Madison but a little more toned down on the sexiness. Her sharp tongue and personality definitely complement her dress style and made her one of my favourite characters:)

Metallic Paws