Goth-spiration: Black Sail and Pirates

I have to admit that before my boyfriend came along I lacked an appreciation of pirates. While I still don’t want to watch Pirates of the Caribbean for the thousandth time I’m happily enjoying the first season of Black Sails. The plot is interesting and both it and the characters are based on historical fact (most of the characters were real people and the island was a real place). Most of all, of course, I’m enjoying that pirate look. I feel it’s the perfect mix of Gothy Victorian goodness with angry punk tearing and using utilitarian accents in a purely aesthetic way (like wearing safety pins in your hair), that I need in my life.

Jack Rackham, Captain Charles Vain and Anne Bonny – Image from Black Sails – Link

So far, my favourite characters both look and personality wise are Anne Bonny and Rackham (who were both real pirates). Anne Bonny’s character is notorious for dressing in more masculine clothing and not taking shit from anyone. Rackham is always found rocking killer hair and steampunk-esque glasses. I also can’t help but to love John Silver – one of the primary characters that causes the plot to unravel when he steals a very important page to find a ship that could save the pirate island of Nassau – because is this sarcastic and witty remarks, and his amazing ability to scheme.

What do you think of the pirate look? You might not see the Victorian/Punk mixture that I see and I’d love to know what words come to mind when you look at pirate style. Perhaps steam-punk or simply not-your-thing! Have you ever rocked a pirate style?

1. July 30, 2014 / 11:37 am

The Agency, in order to strengthen and support the country's economy to help viable small businesses. The agency also helps people start a new business. The agency also helps communities economically, to help after the disaster. Capital, contracts and counseling, commonly known as the '3 Cs' of the Agency for the Agency's activities.

For more info :-

2. July 30, 2014 / 11:47 am

I do love the pirate look! I never heard of this show before I'm definitely gona check it out!

• July 30, 2014 / 2:36 pm

Agreed! I'm going to check it out too. I love the pirate look, too and if anything, there's enough eyecandy in the gorgeous trio to get me interested! XD

3. July 30, 2014 / 12:08 pm

Ah, I'm starting to think, that it's a boy's thing…I couldn't care less about pirates before I met my boyfriend either, but seeing as he's a fan of everything pirate themed – yes, including Pirates of the Caribbean…-.- – I didn't have a choice…:) And while I'm still not into the pirate – thing, I, too watch Black Sails with my boyfriend. Alright, we're only halfway through the first season because frankly, I find it a little boring so we always find something else to watch instead…but I do like the fashionz. I usually refer to it as 'pirate style', but I also notice the lower class Victorian and steampunk elements you mentioned. I don't think I've ever worn anything remotely pirate – ish, tho'…:)

4. July 30, 2014 / 12:08 pm

5. July 30, 2014 / 2:38 pm

I definitely have a love for pirates and I think you really nailed the spot on why. It's got a great rebellious feel to it but at the same time still has a lot of the sass and style of the earlier Victorian era. Good stuff!

6. July 30, 2014 / 4:17 pm

I do like a good pirate, however ridiculous romanticising common crooks is (we do it with so many folk heroes already). Eddy Izzard will forever be my LJ Silver.

7. July 30, 2014 / 6:43 pm

I've only met one pirate, "The Captain", who was at many of the Renaissance faires Martin and I worked in. He was handsome and sexy as hell, and although he didn't have a ship (as yet), he definitely gave you the feeling he'd love to fling you over his shoulder and carry you off to one for a night of ravishing! So watching them on TV or in movies just doesn't quite do it for me any more… 😉

• July 30, 2014 / 7:01 pm

Oh dang, that sounds pretty wickedly awesome!!! That's one good story worth re-telling! 😀

8. July 30, 2014 / 7:54 pm

I've started watching Black Sails as well, but I haven't gotten further than episode one so far. And I simply love the pirate look! I'm still looking for the perfect pirate-y boots.

9. July 31, 2014 / 12:41 am

I always loved pirates! Peter Pan was my favorite story growing up, and I loved all the movies. My husband is more a fan of the good guys: the Patrick O'Brian series and Horacio Hornblower. To me, they dress better and are more dashing and charming, but I'll take the bad guys any day.

10. August 2, 2014 / 8:55 am

Never heard of this series before, but I like Anne Bonny's style. Thanks for the fashion inspiration 🙂

11. August 8, 2014 / 5:11 am

This is really neat. I love a good combination of Pirate/Steampunk.