When I bought these Halloween wax melts from Witch City Wicks (don’t worry, they’re going to restock soon!) I thought I wouldn’t have anything new to post about them as I had posted all about their Halloween candles last year. That was before the wax melt warmer I bought from them caught on fire and burned my table.
Firstly, though, the wax melts. Witch City Wicks is an indie brand of alternative candles (Ouija and magic inspired for example). They’re vegan, soy candles and have a killer Halloween collection! The scents are all the same from last year. They do the same Halloween collection every year. If it isn’t broken, don’t fix it! I still love these scents. That is, everything besides All Hallows Eve which is remeniscent of my review of Sleepy Hollow from last year. It literally smells like a bar of soap (plain soap, not nice Lush soap).
Okay, onto the fire.
This was probably 100% my fault and I’ll tell you how to avoid it yourself. I always forget when buying from online retailers that I’m going to receive a product with an American connection. This issue occurs so often that I have an Australian current to American current connector. I thought this would be fine to use, as I’ve used it a hundred times with plenty of products. The real issue was that I plugged this into a powerboard that was connected to another powerboard (my house has about 3 powerpoints in total). I did in fact read the little tag on the cord that specifically states to not plug into extension cords, let alone two, but apparently took no notice of this.
I’m thinking that this was the issue. The first red flag should have been the cracking of the non-stick coating on the heat plate. Next I realised that it wasn’t burning the product and wasn’t heating up. When I finally looked at it I found that it had completely burned through to the bottom of the device and in turn burnt my table with a nasty brown singe.
This year I decided to buy Halloween wax melts instead of candles because I thought in the long run they would be much cheaper and safer to leave on around the house. Obviously, it didn’t turn out that way. At the end of the day, maybe it was a sign from the Halloween gods that I shouldn’t start celebrating Halloween until September 1st! What do you think?